Beers, Benedict, and The Battle of the Bulge
There is nothing quite like biking through Belgium’s contrasting landscape of flatlands in Flanders and the rolling hills in French speaking Wallonia. It is truly a cyclist’s dream, and home to arguably the most scenic cycling in Europe. There are miles of bicycle paths that zig zag along romantic canals and wind their way between quaint towns, charming castles, outdoor cafés and incredible restaurants. This combination of bicycle infrastructure, gorgeous scenery, delicious food and varied culture help explain why cycling is the country’s national sport.
Belgium’s own history with cycling is almost as long as the history of cycling itself. Before the turn of the twentieth century, Belgium had already established a Royal Belgian Cycling Association. Cycling became the national sport not long after. Eighteen of the ninety-nine Tours de France have been won by Belgians including the cycling icon, Eddie Merckx; only France has won more. For pedaling aficionados, Belgium is a bicycling mecca to include on your Bike Vacation Bucket List.
There are 1,130+ beers brewed in Belgium. In addition to six Trappist ales and other abbey beers, it churns out lagers such as Stella Artois and Jupiler. Tipplers can also choose from an array of wheat beers, brown ales, red beers, golden ales, saison beers based on old farmhouse recipes, and any number of regional brews. Our new Belgium Bike tour gives you access to more boutique breweries than ANY other European bicycle tour! For travelers who love to bike and beer, this is a dream tour!! We are also one of the very few operators running tours in Belgium
Length: 9 days/8 nights
- June 21, 2014
- July 19, 2014
- August 2, 2014
- Exploring historic ramparts, monuments, and cobbled streets of Luxembourg by bike.
- Riding to the Orval Abbey, home of the “Brasserie d’Orval”, one of the 7 Trappist breweries left in the country.
- La Roche-en-Ardenne, a lovely village cast amid the forested hills of Ardennes, the theatre for The Battle of the Bulge.
- Pedaling some of the “muurs” (walls) featured on the Tour of Flanders, one of the most charming pro cycling races in the World.
- Visiting Bruges, often compared to Venice for its canals and Florentine touch.
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches, 6 dinners included!