What makes a bicycle tour really hum? Is it that feeling of the wind at your back - even when it isn’t? Of conquering greater heights than those pesky elevation charts cheerily suggest?
Ciclismo Magic is contagious! Here’s a little evidence:
- Getting from Greece to Italy in Style About.com - June 2010
- Ten Great Trips You’ve Probably Never Heard Of Wall Street Journal - May 2010
- Amazing Outdoor Vacations ABC News - March 2010
- Trentino on Two Wheels Continental Magazine - March 2010
- “Sweetening the Pot” Adventure Cyclist - March 2009
- “50 Tours of a Lifetime” National Geographic Traveler - May/June 2008
- “Spokes Woman” Cornell Alumni Magazine - May/June 2009
How about sweeping silently through vistas wider than this glossy brochure can possibly show, while pedaling through serious mountains of gelato, vino and antipasto, then gearing down five cogs at the end of each magnificent day: aperitivo, antipasto, primo, secondo, dolci…
Call us pragmatic, but as spellbinding as these destinations are, there must be a method to create “magic”. Expert guides, heaping helpings, solid structure and more than 20 years experience hosting the most discerning travelers set Ciclismo Classico apart.
Here are a few of the ingredients that go into creating the Ciclismo Magic:
- Magic ingredient #1: EXPERT, LOCAL GUIDES
- Our renowned tour leaders aren’t just fit snowbirds showing you all the sights. Most were born and raised in Italy and Europe and live there year-round. They’ll give you the inside running on their home territory and the regions you’ll visit, sharing secrets and tips that only locals are privy to. It’s what Ciclismo Classico is famous for. Get to know them here.
- Magic Ingredient #2: FUEL, GLORIOUS FUEL
- Not the fossil kind, but glorious fuel for you! Each day, feast on gourmet spreads featuring the tasty signature specialties of the region, from home-made tortelloni in Italy to crepes stuffed with goat cheese and honey in Provence. Plus, twice on each tour, you’ll enjoy the bounty of our famous Ciclismo alfresco picnics—a real treat.
- Magic Ingredient #3: RAMPING UP YOUR RIDE
- Like true bicycle bambini, our guides have ridden—even raced—thousands of miles in their adventurous lives. In special mini-clinics and lessons, they’ll share with you the fine points of shifting, braking, posture, climbing, descending, cadence and more, so that you’ll ride for maximum enjoyment and achieve your personal best.
- Magic Ingredient #4: LESSONS IN THE LOCAL LINGO
- You won’t be at a loss for words when a local pays you a compliment or gives you directions to something. Our native guides will conduct a number of efficient, structured language lessons covering important words and phrases that will earn a big, welcoming smile from the locals.
- Magic Ingredient #5: SPELLBINDING CELEBRATIONS
- There’s no other adjective to describe them. Don’t be surprised to roll into a village at the height of a Renaissance fair, community feast, or religious celebration like the madcap Festa dei Ceri in Gubbio on the Bike Across Italy tour (May 11). We design many trips to coincide with them. Bring plenty of memory cards for your camcorder or point ‘n’ shoot!
- Magic Ingredient #6: HOME AWAY FROM HOME
- When traveling by bicycle, getting an excellent night’s sleep is up right there with gourmet carbs and fabulous scenery. From a rustic farmhouse to a five-star villa, from a medieval castle to a cute cottage, we make sure your nightly “casa” reflects the character of your destination. Learn more about our accommodations here.
- Magic Ingredient #7: ON THE SAG WAGON IN STYLE
- Need a breather? Hop in the Ciclismo support van, your air-conditioned deli, tool shed, cafe, and hangout. Rest your wheels, crack open a box of biscotti, and follow the route until you’re ready to roll on that magic pavement again. Caveat: the guides might get you singing “Volare” or some other classic Italian tune while you enjoy the ride.
- Magic Ingredient #8: SNACK ATTACK THOSE HILLS
- Speaking of biscotti, we make sure you keep your body fueled regularly with water, fresh fruit and highenergy snacks sourced locally when we can. Think—or rather scarf— orange-and-chocolate pane dell’orso (bear bread), piping hot pastries and, va bene, you better start pedaling!
- Magic Ingredient #9: DOPO IL GIRO FUN
- That means “apres ride” fun in Italian. You’ve parked your wheels, indulged in dinner, what’s next? Gelato strolls, dancing la tarantella in the piazza, spontaneous serenades, and even a late-night dip in the Mediterranean are just some of the ideas our guides conjure up for that all-important night cap. Dormire bene — another magic day awaits your willing wheels.